The truth is, i’ve no idea how to cook crayfish!
When i first saw the crayfish in the wet market in the morning, the only thought i had was, i must buy!
And i did.
Then when i saw clams (only $2.50/kg!!) at another stall, i know for sure it’d be marinara pasta for dinner :)
However, the clams i got this time, while cheap.. they were extremely tiny!
But it was the only type that was available unfortunately.
I love how both crayfish and clams lent its natural sweetness to the tomato-based sauce. Like how to the helper put it, a whiff and one will know it’s seafood pasta with tomato-based!
Because i was pretty worried that the crayfish might be hard to cook, i instructed the helper to deep-fry them first. The thought of the crayfish being deep-fried (just like Swensen’s) is rather intoxicating. Extra oooommpphhhh for my tomato sauce when it’s (the deep frying, which the helper excels in!) done perfectly.
Crayfish and Clam Pasta
1 packet of cooked pasta (any kind!)
5-6 cloves of garlic, finely minced
1 huge yellow onion, diced
3 tomatoes, diced
1 can of Prego tomato sauce
300-400ml chicken stock, or boiling water
1/2 tsp of mixed herbs
salt, to taste
1 kg clams, washed and drained
5 cooked crayfish – halved, approx 700g (deep fry)
5 tbsp olive oil
parsley flakes, to garnish (optional)
1. Heat oil in wok.
2. Brown garlic and onion.
3. Add tomatoes.
4. Stir in Prego’s tomato sauce and chicken stock.
5. Add clams and close lid to steam for 5 mins or so – to get the clams cooked.
6. Add mixed herbs and salt. Taste.
7. Stir in crayfish and let it sit in for at least a minute or 2 but not too long – won’t want the flesh fall out!
8. Scoop and serve on top of the cooked pasta.. together with a handful of freshly shaved Parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of parsley flakes.