I’ve found my perfect Chicken Rendang recipe!!!
Best of all, cooking this from scratch isn’t that intimidating as i have always thought and it tastes so so good, especially the curry gravy and “kerisik”. If only i have lemang with me. It’d would have been perfect!
Oh well, pairing this with nasi lemak isn’t so bad either and i did just that :)
(adapted from famous cuisine no.64)
1 kg chicken (4-5 kampung thighs)
100-120g grated coconut
250ml thick coconut milk
20g dried chilies (soak in water until soft)
2 stems lemon grass
7 garlic cloves
3 cm fresh tumeric
3cm fresh galangal
5 tbsp cooking oil
2 stalks curry leaves
4-6 blades kaffir lime leaves
3 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1. To make “kerisik”, stir-fry the grated coconut in the hot wok without oil over medium heat until aromatic and golden in color.
2. Blend all ingredients (B) in the blender until finely paste and smooth. Dish out.
3. Heat up wok, add in blended ingredients (B) mixture, stir-fry over medium high heat until fragrant. Add in ingredients (C), toss until the chili oil separates.
4. Place in chicken pieces, stirring constantly until the chicken meat color changes. Pour in water, bring to boil. Simmer over low heat for 20-25 minutes until the chicken pieces are cooked and tender.
5. Add in the coconut milk and “kerisik”, stir fry until well combined and the gravy is absorbed or until the color of the curry gravy deepens.
Submitting this for Muhibbah Monday!