It’s Christmas Eve!
But strangely, i am not feeling it. Perhaps it’s because we just arrived home safely yesterday from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and i’ve not seen the maddening crowds at Orchard Road yet! Haha!
The only thing i baked for X’mas this year is the fruit cake but that post gotta wait a bit because i’m reserving it for tomorrow!
So, for now.. Plum Clafoutis will do ok? ;)
I love plums.
But only the plump, juicy and sweet ones.
When we were given a few batches of plums that weren’t so ideal to be eaten just like that, clafoutis came to mind!
I love, love, love clafoutis. This and bread pudding are the only 2 dessert items that i would seriously look out for whenever i’m at buffet or high tea. Grin. Guess i’m a custard kinda girl, huh?
After searching high and low for a suitable recipe, i finally decided on La Tartine Gourmande’s recipe. So it’s an old old recipe but hey, it’s Bea! How bad can it be?
Best with warm vanilla custard sauce or vanilla bean ice cream which balances the tart tasting plums to perfection.
(from La Tartine Gourmande)
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 7 oz milk
- 2 oz cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- About 1 lb + 2 oz plums
- 3.5 oz heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp butter + 2 Tbsp sugar to cook the plums
i could eat all the plums here! so delish! yes, i stole one to try out of curiosity. :P
- Preheat your oven at 410 F.
- Wash your plums and slice them open. Remove the stones.
- Heat 2 Tbsp butter in a pan. Add the plums and 2 Tbsp sugar and cook for 5 mns. Set aside.
- Butter small molds (or a large one) and sprinkle them with sugar.
- In a bowl, mix together the cold milk with the cornstarch.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs with the egg yolk. Add the sugar and mix well. Add the cream and mix.
- Mix the milk/cornstarch preparation with the egg one.
- Place the cooked plums in your molds, face up.
- Pour the preparation over and cook in the oven for about 30 min, until golden.
- Remove from the oven. Sprinkle with sugar and eat lukewarm preferably.
Here’s wishing all my lovely blog readers a blessed and merry Christmas! :)