As usual, i cheated. Instead of using the real stuff (read : arborio rice), i cooked this with Japanese short grain rice. I guess i’m not fussy enough to get myself behind the wheel and drive to the nearest supermarket to haul a packet of arborio rice back just to cook this risotto :P
Not sure if anyone feels the same but what i did was i grilled the mushrooms instead of sautéing them in the pan because i find the flavour is more intense that way.
My unauthentic Mushroom Risotto
3-5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp salt
a packet of brown mushroom, white mushroom and shimeiji or use any that’s available (washed and sliced)
1. Mix all together and grill on high heat (i used 200C) till golden.
4-5 tbsp butter
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1/3 white wine
1 cup cream
1.5 L chicken stock (do adjust accordingly)
salt and pepper, to taste
freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3 cups Japanese short grain rice
1. Melt butter in pan over medium high heat. Stir in chopped onions and fry till brown.
2. Add rice and stir to coat with butter.
3. Add wine and simmer for few minutes before stirring in cream.
4. Add simmering stock, half cup at a time, stirring enough to keep the rice from sticking to the edges of the pan. Wait until the stock is almost completely absorbed before adding the next half cup. This takes about 15-20 minutes depending on how you like your rice. I like mine soft but still chewable and with bite.
5. Stir in the grilled mushrooms, together with its heavenly stock that is found in the grilling pan (don’t throw it away!).
6. Finally, add in salt and pepper to taste before shaving some generous portion of freshly grated Parmesan cheese before serving.