Twice i failed.
Failed to get the beautiful purple, pinkish hue for my sweet potato chiffon cake. :(
I have no idea what went wrong. I did all i could to prevent the batter colour from changing during the second attempt.. alas… it was not meant to be. Sigh.
I’d be trying again — my third and last attempt. IF, the cake is still this colour, i’ll wave my white flag then.
Sweet Potato Chiffon Cake
(17cm chiffon tube pan)
100g purple sweet potato (steam and mashed)
3 tbsp milk
3 egg yolks
20g brown sugar
pinch of salt
50ml corn oil
3 tbsp water
85g cake flour
4 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar — i omitted this
Diced steamed sweet potato cubes (optional) — and this as well
1. Steam sweet potato, add milk to it and mashed till fine or blend it in a blender.
2. Mix all ingredients in (A) till well blended. Add in (1) and mix well. Sieve in (B) and mixed till smooth and lump-free. If batter is on the dry side, add a tablespoonful of water – some purple sweet potatoes can be quite dry.
3. Beat egg whites in (C) till stiff.
4. Add half portion of egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture and mix well with a spatula.
when i thought everything would be okaayy…
5. Pour egg yolk mixture into the remaining white and mix till well-combined.
until i saw this… YIKES!
6. Pour batter into chiffon pan. Bang the cake pan a couple of times to release air bubbles in the batter.
7. Bake at 180C for 30 minutes or till cooked.
8. Invert the cake and cool it completely in the tin.
So upset i was that i had no mood for styling.
So upset i was that i anyhow cut the cake when i was getting it out.
(see pic below)
So upset i was that i didn’t wanna eat the cake after that.. but errrr, in the end, i did lah of course! I don’t say no to cakes! :P
see the strange colour conbination? quite something huh? hee!