Don’t shudder and get goose bumps just yet.
I know.. the sound of this dish is rather geli kan? Yam sauce? In baked rice with cheese?!?!
Doesn’t sound very convincing, does it? Trust me, i had the exact same sentiment as you too! I was very skeptical initially… But oh my my my, just wait till you try it….
If you were to ask me, i would give this dish 2 thumbs up. The baked rice is simply sensational! I could eat bowls of it without the pork and errrr.. i did (ooppss! *cups face*). Creamy, yummy yam-my, cheesy + egg fried rice… it’s WOW alright. MMmmm… and i was supposed to cut down on my carbs! Hmmmpphhhhhh! *stares down at the spare tyre and sighs*
For the record, i love yam, which also known as taro. So, i could be biased….
If you like yam or yam rice, you MUST give this a go.
But ermm.. be prepared for the extra double chin or the bulging tummy the next morning. Don’t say i didn’t warn ya! ;)
Cheese Baked Rice with Pork and Yam Sauce
ideal for 4 adults
taken during dinner time – bad lighting but i cannot resist!
1 portion basic fried rice
4 pieces of pork chop (the butcher took care of this for me)
a handful or more of mozzarella + cheddar cheese
2 tbsp butter
100g yam, cubed
3-5 tsp teriyaki sauce
160g yam, cubed
50g big onion, sliced
2 tbsp butter
400ml chicken broth or water
1. pound the pork up using the back of your cleaver a couple of times to tenderize the meat. flip and repeat. season the pork chop with marinade for at least 30 minutes
2. melt butter in the sauce pan, shallow fry the marinated pork chop over low heat until golden brown but never fully cook!
3. to make yam sauce – melt the butter in the sauce pan to saute big onions and yam until fragrant. add chicken broth and bring to boil. lower the heat, simmer for 6 minute. transfer the ingredients to the blender (i use hand-held blender) and blend until smooth. reboil with yam (from the ingredient section), cook over low heat for 5 minutes. season with salt.
4. put fried rice in a bowl. ladle the yam sauce over and top it with fried pork chop. sprinkle the cheese mixture all over.
5. bake rice in the preheated oven at 200C for 8 minutes or until the cheese is golden in colour.
Basic Fried Rice with Egg
5 bowls of cooked rice
3 eggs, beaten
Heat up oil in the hot wok, add in beaten egg, stir fry till fragrant. add in cooked rice, and the rest of the seasoning, stirring constantly over high heat until well combined and aromatic. remove from heat.
(source : Famous Cuisine no. 64)
can you say YUMS?!?!
Submitting this to Muhibbah Monday to Suresh from 3hungrytummies :)