I first heard of Happycall Pan almost a year ago when mother told me about it. I was then made to watch the advertisement on Channel U early in the morning for my 2 cents worth. In the end, i caved in but somehow, because of my procrastination (i’m the parents’ personal assistant), the pans came in only many months later.
When Ellena from Cuisine Paradise (Ellena has many yummy recipes on her blog using this pan. Do check her out) posted the cake’s photos she baked using Happycall, i was sold.
I was like, Holy cow! Happycall can be used to bake too?!?!?!
The following week when we simply had too many pineapples to handle, i knew it was time to test out the pan.
Caramelized Pineapple Cake with Almonds
180g plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
90g caster sugar
120ml butter, melted
40g caster sugar
4 tbsp water
4 pineapple chunks
2 handfuls of toasted almond flakes
1. To prepare the Pineapple, brown unsalted butter and sugar over low heat in HCP (Happycall Pan). Sir in pineapple chunks and water and continue to simmer over low heat for another 3 – 5 minutes. (Pan close but don’t lock it)
2. When done, turn off the heat and arrange the pineapples and toasted almonds as close as possible without too much gaps in between. Set aside and prepare the cake batter.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar with a hand mixer till well-mixed(about 1 minute) and mixture slightly turn pale in colour.
4. Next whisk in the melt butter and follow by the sifted flour mixture (plain flour + baking powder) and continue to stir until the flour is in-cooperate into the batter. (the batter will be slightly like thick cream texture)
5. Pour the mixture over the prepared caramel pineapple, smooth the top and bake (lock the pan) over very low heat for about 20 – 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted and come out clean.
Tips : I say, flip the pan after 18-20 minutes and continue to bake for another 5-7 minutes. the middle part can get burnt rather easily.
(adapted from Cuisine Paradise)
I tweaked the recipe slightly but all in all, it was an enjoyable cake. It was a little dry but still okay.
I’ve never had Caramelized Pineapple Cake before so i can’t compare. But when i used the pan to bake Caramelized Banana with Chocolate Cake, it was whoaaa.. and the family was blown away. *wink*
My first thought was, Ji Dan Gao! (steamed egg cake), as i sank my teeth into it. The texture, the taste.. it totally reminded me of Ji Dan Gao, that’s if you ignore the pineapples and all. If you like pineapple and if you heart Ji Dan Gao, by all means, this is da cake for ya! However, do bear this in mind, this is Happycall Pan, not oven. So the cake will be different. It may not rise as well as in the oven but when you think of how fuss free it is to use this pan to bake (no need for greasing & lining!), it’s really not too shabby at all. :)