Right now, i’m craving for something juicy, greenish and healthy.. hence, this post. Grin. I had to dig through the archive to look for this photo to have this up at this very moment. Oh-what-cravings-can-do-to-us, eh?
Couscous — i didn’t have fond memories of it until this recipe came along.
I still remember that first time when i cooked couscous for the family on that fateful night. Everyone made a face. Even i did. Hahaaa! It was godawful! Needless to say, no one finished their dinner that night and the remaining uncooked packet was left untouched until another fateful day, when i made this for dinner with the friends.
Yes, this. This is the recipe!
That night, the friends fought over this couscous of mine.. and leftovers were promptly ‘chopped’ to take home for their meals the very next day!
The boys weren’t hot about it still.. but when i made this again the third time, they went.. WAH!
Then i realized that chicken stock and the spices played a HUGE part. The first time i made it? I used plain boiling water with 1/2 tsp of salt to soak it — aiyo, NO WONDER LAH!
Grilled Lemon Chicken and Moroccan Couscous Salad
- 2 cups homemade chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 10-ounce box plain couscous
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 1 large carrot, peeled, quartered lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 cup thinly sliced green beans or trimmed sugar snap peas
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus additional for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 large skinless boneless chicken breast halves, pounded to 1/3-inch thickness
- 3/4 cup plus 1/3 cup (loosely packed) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds (optional)
- 1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges
Bring chicken broth, 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, turmeric, cinnamon, and cumin to boil in heavy large saucepan. Stir in couscous and remove from heat. Scatter raisins over, cover, and let stand until couscous softens, about 10 minutes. Fluff couscous with fork, breaking up any lumps with fingertips. Transfer couscous to large bowl. Add cucumber, red bell pepper, carrot, green beans, and lemon peel. Whisk remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and lemon juice in small bowl. Add to couscous; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Place 2 1/2 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken and seal bag, releasing any excess air; turn several times to coat. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
Grill the chicken in oven till cooked. Transfer chicken to platter and let rest 10 minutes. Stir 3/4 cup chopped cilantro into couscous. Sprinkle almonds over, if desired. Drizzle chicken with oil, sprinkle remaining 1/3 cup chopped cilantro over, and garnish with lemon wedges. Serve with couscous.