I’ve tried roasting pork loin a couple of times using the oven but the results were just alright. However, homemade char siu didn’t vow me that much until recently…
.. when i experimented char siu making using Happycall Pan.
Probably because i don’t quite know how to control the oven temperature or something perhaps? Hence, mediocre char siu tasting with the oven. My guess is, with Happycall, i am able to control the fire sooooo, tastier char siu for me? *shrugs* Oh, plus the fact that, i can have charred bits however much i like! ;)
Roast Char Siu using Happycall
3-4 medium pork loins
1/3 – 1/2 bottle of Lee Kum Kee Char Siu Sauce
2 tbsp oyster/ hoisin sauce
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1. Combine the all the ingredients above, mix well and leave it covered in the fridge overnight.
2. Heat Happycall pan with high heat and palm off the meats into the pan. Turn down the heat to medium. Lock the pan.
3. After 10-15 minutes, depending on the amount of meat you are using, unlock the pan and turn the meats over.
4. Do not lock the pan now.
5. Again, flip the meat over after 5 minutes and using medium high heat, it’s time for charred bits. ;)
6. Now, don’t move away but keep your eyes on the meat. Once the desired stage achieved, switched off the fire and let it to cook in the pan for 5 minutes before slicing away.
For the rice, the recipe can be found right here.
I know i know.. Lee Kum Kee Char Siu Sauce?!?!
Oh well, i can and i will take shortcuts if i want to. :P
To be honest I’ve tried to make char siu sauce from scratch a few times before, but somehow… it just didn’t taste as good as Lee Kum Kee Char Siu Sauce. In fact, I’ve tried a couple of recipes and not just one. Unfortunately, the satisfaction was just not there. What more, the color.. it was never how i fancied it. But with this handy sauce + some oyster + garlic, i is can has homemade char siu that tastes as good as the ones sold outside or even better!
Why not? ;)
Char Siu Rice, anyone?
Submitting this to Muhibbah Monday, hosted by Sharon of Test with Skewer.